Thursday, September 20, 2007

We Don't Need a General to Betray Us

The job's already been done by his boss, who's betrayed this country in every way imaginable.

As I've said before on this blog and in comments I've made elsewhere, whenever there's a change made in this den of thieves some call an administration, it only and always gets worse. A lot has been said about the Mukasy nomination for Atty Gen, and I don't have a whole lot to add, but I think this quote from a WAPo article goes a long way toward summing it up:

The White House was already seeking over the weekend to tamp down concern in the conservative legal world about Mukasey's views, assuring allies that he shares Bush's views on executive power and the need for strong action against terrorists. (Emphasis mine)

Hmmm... "Allies" As opposed to...? Axis? Axis of freedom, maybe? Like the Judiciary? the progressive wing of the Democratic Party? Constitutional lawyers like Glenn Greenwald who disagree with crazies like John Yoo? The idea that this guy shares Dubya's views on executive power is frightening. I wish I could say I was surprised.

George Will wrote a column the other day for the WAPo which the Seattle PI published today. A list of good questions to put to the man, none of which I'm sure will be asked. Actually I'd like to ask one: Do you agree with former AG Abu Gonzalez that the Constitution does not "grant" citizens the right to habeus corpus, it merely says the right cannot be taken away? In other words: Are you as stupid as Abu was?

No comments: