Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I was semi-surprised by the map of Pennsylvania showing the vote results. I was born in Harrisburg and lived in Lebanon from the 4th grade till a year after high school. I don't really have a feel for the political atmosphere in H'burg, but I remember Lebanon all too well.

While the talking head was talking about the Philly suburbs, I looked at central PA and the map showed several counties, Berks, Dauphin, and Lancaster all in blue with Lebanon county, an island of red. We're talking the PA Dutch country here. While Lancaster is considered the heart of it, there's a LOT of people of German heritage in Berks as well. The kicker? Lebanon County, as I knew it back in the 70's, was damn near lily white.

Hi LHS Class of '74.

I doubt there's a whole lot of celebrating going on back there right now. They'd probably leave the country en-mass, except most of them have a hard time leaving the county for a week's vacation. Maybe they could get bold and take my moron brother in law with them. That's wishing for too much.

No comments: