Saturday, July 21, 2007

Another Conservative Against Bush

Wednesday I wrote about a conservative guest on the Thom Hartmann show; Thursday, although I did not write about it, Hartmann had another conservative guest. Both spoke of the need to impeach both Bush and Cheney. Today via Crooks and Liars, I discovered another article posted by a conservative, who is highly critical of Bush and the republicans, and fearful for the future of our democracy. One of the focal points of this article is the "need" for another 9-11 event to ensure the survival of the republican party in the next election. Sorry for the lack of a link, but the chairman of the Arkansas Republican Committee has already called for another terrorist attack. I firmly believe that this has been discussed and planned by the powers behind the throne.

I wouldn't call myself a conspiricist but, I've always had questions about what happened on 9-11. I've always found it curious that the twin towers fell more like they were imploded by demolition experts, rather than breaking off from the points at which they were damaged. I've heard Ed Schultz argue/preach many times how there is no way that the government could have been behind the attack in any way, but I'm not so sure. When I look at the ways this administration has relentlessly attacked the structure of this country from within, weakening our military, our economy, our alliances, the Constitution and Bill of Rights... I really can't think of a point at which they'll stop or a line they won't cross. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I firmly believe Bush will make himself dictator by 2008/9.

One common thread connects the men behind these three articles: They all worked in the Reagan Administration.

I've heard and read, time and again, how the republican party is no longer the party of Barry Goldwater, as if that's a reference to some rosier time of moderation. I was 8 yrs old when Goldwater got trounced by Johnson. Goldwater was an extremist kook. I remember the neighbor kids whose dad voted for Goldwater saying how Kennedy was a wimp because he didn't want to invade Cuba during the missile crisis like Goldwater did. Time and again we hear and read about the "good old days" of moderate conservatism under Reagan; as if. Bushco is virtually nothing more than the culmination of the desires and intents of the Reaganistas; Reaganism without checks and balances.

Reagan talked about failed government: The government is not your friend. Government is not the answer. The most feared words in the English language: We're from the government and we're here to help. Bush has brought government failure to life and made it flourish. My point being, that when hardcore Reaganistas, authors of Reaganist policies, decide that Bush has gone too far, when will the republicans elected to Congress wake up and realize for themselves that their unquestioned alignment with Bush is destroying the country? When will they realize that they're just like the frog in the pot of water, allowing themselves to be boiled alive, as the temperature slowly creeps up to boiling?

I realize there's an inherent shame in having to own up to mistakes, much like some women I've known, refusing to admit to themselves that the years and efforts spent in a dead end destructive relationship were a waste. There hopefully does come a time though, when mistakes are admitted, blame shouldered, losses accepted and shame dealt with. The past remains unchanged, but healing can begin and the present and future can be salvaged. If the repugs in congress do not wake up soon, it will be too late; there will be nothing to salvage. Time is running out. For the Repugs and for the country.

2 comments:

Jess Wundrun said...

So well said. I have been thinking about this so often lately, each government "failure" piling on top of the last. You can run a horse into the ground by overwork and underfeeding, buy by god, don't blame the horse when it dies.

I will probably lift some paragraphs from your well-written piece in the very near future.....

Chris in Seattle said...

Lift all you want, Dear. I can use all the credits I can get.