Sunday, July 1, 2007

Oh Freddie T... with the plaid shirt and pickemup truck...

The Hall and Oates, "Beenie G and the Rose Tattoo," when you read the title and I think you've got a good start on a campaign theme song. Any way...

While writing my previous post I got thinking about an exchange between myself and a former boss back in '94. It was post election time, and I was living in East Tennishoe at the time. Freddie had just defeated... Tim (?) Duncan (can't remember his first name, but he did come up with the so-called Clinton-Lite plan on health care) for a Senate seat. I'd also just replaced my trusty, yet worn out Plymouth Arrow with a '91 Dodge Dakota. I really loved working for this guy, even though he red as red could be when it came to conservative/repugnican/redneck beliefs. As a matter of fact, I'd still work for the guy if he wasn't so far back in BFE that they had to bring sunshine in by truck. But I digress...

We were talking about election results, and I asked him, "What would you say if, now that I've bought my truck, I'm going to quit working overtime, and get all my bills paid off and save to invest?" "I'd say you're crazy," he said. "Well, that's what you voted for: A crazy idea."

You see, during one debate, Freddie and Duncan were asked about taxes. Duncan wanted to make taxes "fair;" Freddie was going to, "...cut taxes, increase defense spending and balance the budget," things just about everybody loves to hear, but absolutely crazy when you tie them together like that. And yet, there are otherwise intelligent people out there who swallow this shit whole, and vote for their own demise.

Jane Hamsher, at Firedoglake, has more on Freddie, here.

No comments: