Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Has SCOTUS Declared War on Costco?

(Am I alone in this? Does SCOTUS make you think of Scrotum / Scrota? )

On my way to work yesterday, I was kinda pissed to find that Stephanie Miller was on vacation. I like Elaine Boosler OK and all that, but she's not Steph. But I listened. After all, it was easier than searching my '68 Mustang's AM dial for something different. Well...

They got talking about the Supreme Court's recent decisions, and dropped this one in the mix.
The bastards overturned a decision from 1911. The first thought that came to mind was, "What'll this do to COSTCO?" Miraculously, I didn't forget about it during the day, and went looking last night, after making my Libby rant. I'm nothing close to a legal scholar, but what it looks like to me, is that SCOTUS has allowed manufacturers to tell retailers the minimum they have to charge us for their products. Kennedy in his majority opinion, seemed to go to great links to try to explain how this will benefit consumers and spur competition. I don't see it.

With all the hubbub about the recent decisions regarding abortion and school segregation, I don't know if this one's going to get much play in any media, but it should. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to show a lack of respect for precedent and settled law, as well as showing how little respect the conservative side of the court has for the rights and needs of those of us struggling to stretch our hard earned cash.

No comments: