Friday, July 6, 2007

I've GOT to go see, "Sicko"

Browsing around on The Raw Story today, I came across a link to MichealMoore.com and found this little gem:

...the recent Health Care Symposium held in Harrisburg - where a panel of representatives from Government, Insurance, Hospitals, Business, Physicians, and even Lawyers agreed on one thing - that there was no quick fix and that Health and Wellness was the critical area of focus.

"...no quick fix..." Don't you just love it when the powers that be trot that phrase out: Whenever they have no fucking intention of getting off their asses to even think about fixing a problem. As to "Health and Wellness being a critical area of focus," that's bullshit as well.

I have to admit that through my union contract, my employer provides me with some pretty good coverage. It's even fairly cheap to add family members to my plan, and that's VERY important now that the wife will be quitting her job to come home and take care of her Mom. BUT, if my health care providers -- Washington Employers Trust and Beechstreet/FirstChoice were at all concerned with health and wellness, would it not make sense for my Chantix prescription to fall within their prescription coverage? I had to shell out the full $125 for the first month's supply and will have to shell out the same if I need/want another month. Wouldn't they WANT more non-smokers? Aren't non-smokers "healthier and weller?"

Now I have to admit, for me, $125 is just a minor inconvenience, but for many others it wouldn't be. In the grand scheme of things, it's another example of failed conservative policy at work and the evil behind our health care racket.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping that this movie will gain momentum. I've read a couple of stories about the movie generating conversation about this critical even in places that are considered "conservative."

Unknown said...

It would seem that Dcup beat me to the punch. Here is a link to post about a friend of hers and insurance: http://politits.blogspot.com/2007/07/in-brief.html

Thanks for the comment on my blogg

Chris in Seattle said...

DCup, Mathman,
Welcome. I think this could be Moore's biggest movie to date. Gun control, and Iraq can be partisan issues, but health care affects everyone, regardless of party affiliation.